Category: Uncategorized

Ships Cook Assessment – Comments From Candidates

What the Chefs had to say…

A Challenging day. The Chef assessor was fair and made good comments.  Great kitchen to work in for the day.

– Anton Escalera 

Course gave me a better insight of maritime regulations.  The Practical assessment was great  fun but challenging,  Good Feedback from the Chef Assessor. Very Enjoyable!

– Rachel Perham

read more

Ship’s Cook Certificate explained!

The Ship’s Cook Certificate has been a topic of discussion and debate for a long time, with stories varying, criteria for eligibility unclear and work-around rumours lose-on-deck. To set matters straight and help ensure you, your crew and your vessel are compliant and safe, Yachtwork are here to answer some important questions.

What is the Ship’s Cook Assessment?

The Ship’s Cook Certificate Assessment verifies that a candidate has been assessed by an accredited organisation and proves competency in the learning outcomes in Annexes 1 and 2 of MCA MSN 1846.

Key Facts:

– It replaces the Merchant Shipping (Certificate of Ship’s Cooks) Regulations 1981, which have been revoked.
– It sets out the minimum training requirements for all ship’s cooks and catering staff.
– New training prerequisites take religious requirements and practices into account as they pertain to food as well as duration and nature of the voyage.
– The requirements relating to ship’s cooks do not apply to ships which:
– only operate within 60 miles of a safe haven and,
– ordinarily operate with fewer than 10 seafarers on board.

Who needs a Ship’s Cook Certificate?

Any Commercial Vessel that operates more than 60 miles from a safe haven and has 10 or more seafarers on-board must have at least one Ship’s Cook Certificate of Competency holding chef.

How do I get a Ship’s Cook Certificate?

If you want your Ship’s Cook Certificate of Competency, you will need to:

– undergo the Ship’s Cook Assessment with Yachtwork or another MCA-approved training organisation.
– be 18 years old, or more.
– have completed a minimum of one-month sea going service.
– have completed the Personal Survival Techniques, Fire Prevention and Firefighting, Elementary First Aid, Personal Safety as well as the Social Responsibility and Security Awareness STCW courses.
– hold a current Seafarer Medical Fitness Certificate (ENG 1) or equivalent.

After completing all of the above you can apply for your certificate of competency from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency.

How can I avoid the Ship’s Cook Assessment

The simple answer is, you can’t.

Whilst the Maritime and Coastguard Agency will accept certain qualifications as accredited prior learning (see MSN 1846), these qualifications do not meet the required learning outcomes in their entirety. All chefs will have to be assessed to ensure all learning outcomes are met and that they meet the minimum standards.

In addition, the MCA do not accept any online qualifications (including Food Safety Level 2). Any chef and crew involved in the processing, preparation and handling of food for others need to hold a valid Level 2 Food Safety Certificate. At Yachtwork, the Level 2 Food Safety is incorporated within the Ships Cook Assessment.

To read more about what your prior Accredited Learning means about your Ship’s Cook Assesment, please click here.

Ship’s Cook Certificate Online

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency have come to the conclusion that kitchen-based skills and safety can only be assessed in person, in an appropriate setting. As such, the Ship’s Cook Certificate requires that all recipients are assessed in person at Yachtwork or another MCA-approved training facility.

For more information on the Ship’s Cook Certificate, head over to our training page.

read more